In my quest to broaden my soup making horizon as it were, on the menu this week, Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup. Another great simple recipe for a really low calorie soup!
- 5 Large Tomatoes
- 20 Basil Leaves
- 2 tbsp of Olive Oil
- 500ml of Chicken Stock
- 4 Medium Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Medium Onions
- Preheat the Oven to 200C
- Quarter the tomatoes and remove the seeds
- Place skin side down into a lightly oiled pan
- Roast in oven until soft / around 45 minutes until they just start to brown
- As the tomatoes are almost done / sauté chopped onions and minced garlic in olive oil
- Chop the basil and add to the garlic and basil
- Season to taste and sauté for 30 seconds
- Then add the tomatoes and chicken stock to the pan and bring to the boil
- Simmer for 15 minutes
- Purée with a hand blender
- Pour into a clean pan and heat through before serving
Garnish with basil leaves and serve with crusty bread for dipping, the only way to go!
Now the outcome was delicious, but I would be lying if I did not say that this recipe was problematic, this recipe apparently for 4 only just made 2 bowls of soup with the serving size of a meal. Also, once you got to the bottom of the bowl you were faced with the unsightly task of fishing little bits of tomato skin out of the inside of your mouth. However, I think that next time I will double up on ingredients and sieve the soup before serving to ensure the perfect dining experience of Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup!