This will be the first of a few biscuit related posts coming up! The basic inspiration went as far as I have not made biscuits in a while and I got some new cutter for Christmas so I am going to make some. Then I happened to chance across a recipe for Butter Biscuits that was versatile for experimenting with different flavours and textures. Se here is the basic biscuit recipe.
- 250g of Butter
- 140g of Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 2tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 300g of Plain Flour
- Preheat the oven to 150C
- Cream the butter and caster sugar in a large bowl until smooth
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract and beat to combine
- Sift the flour into the mixture in stages whilst working it into the mix
- At this point using your fingers is best to bring the mixture together
- Roll out 1cm thick on a dusted surface and cut out your desired shapes
- Place onto a baking sheet
- Chill for 30 minutes
- Place in oven for 15-16 minutes watching carefully until the biscuits are golden
- Bring out of the oven and allow to cool
I cannot deny that these Butter Biscuits tasted great but if the look like mine when your done you went wrong just as I did, I thought I could make them thinner and I couldn’t! These butter biscuits do spread whilst baking so they need to be thick to counter balance that, mine were a little too thin so had a snap to them, delicious all the same but not what I was going for. I also have to admit that I did not use my new cutters as this dough just would not let me sadly and that is why you see boring circular biscuits!
I will definitely be having a second attempt at this recipe and will be sure to keep you posted.
By the way look out for my next biscuit post in a few days!