I love to bake and I love to find reasons to bake, so when it is someones birthday at work, I have the perfect excuse. However, when I am requested to make a cake I have never even tried before, it scares me quite a bit! That did not matter, I had promised a birthday cake and so I was going to bake it! This birthday cake was made quite a while ago, I just have not had time to share it, but now finally, here is my recipe for Carrot Cake;
- 2tbsp of Cinnamon
- 1tbsp of Baking Powder
- 1/2tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 300g of Flour
- 200g of Borwn Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 250ml of Oil
- Zest of 1 Orange
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 200g of Grated Carrot
- 150g of Crushed Walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a baking tin
- In a large bowl sieve the cinnamon, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, flour and brown sugar together
- In a separate jug whisk the eggs, oil, lemon and orange zest together
- Slowly add the oil and egg mixture to the dry ingredients mixing as you go
- Once combined add the grated carrots and mix again
- Then add the walnuts and fold together
- Pour into the baking tin and put into the oven for 45 minutes or until golden and cooked through
- Allow to cool, then ice if desired.
To my amazement, Carrot Cake is actually nice! I was so shocked, I just was not sure about vegetables and cake as a combination, but I had been missing out and I am proud to say that the Carrot Cake was a complete success. This recipe makes a moist but crumbly cake that can be iced but tastes amazing without it too, the addition of orange and lemon gives it a really refreshing taste too! This recipe takes a long time but really all of the time is spent in the preparation and once this is done, baking it is easy!
This recipe does not include the icing, but I just used regular Butter Cream Frosting and I have been told Cream Cheese Frosting tastes amazing with Carrot Cake!