This week I am sharing a recipe for a Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake that I made for the second time this weekend as a belated Birthday cake for our friend. It was the second time as I attempted it last week, firstly, forgetting the baking powder then trying to turn it out to quickly, please do NOT do these things if you attempt this recipe! Luckily our plans fell through so he did not have to suffer that kind of birthday surprise!
On my second attempt, I nailed it and here is how you can make it at home;
For the cake
- 200g of Butter
- 200g of Sugar
- 200g of Flour
- 2 tsp of Baking Powder
- 1 tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 4 Eggs
- Rind of 1 Orange
- Juice of Half an Orange
For the topping
- 100g of Dark Chocolate
- 4 tbsp of Milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease your bundt tin
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until smooth
- Then gradually sieve in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda, mixing until you have a crumbly mixture
- Add the egg and whisk until you have a smooth and creamy batter
- Finally add the milk, orange juice and rind and combine thoroughly
- Then poor into your cake tine evenly ensure there are no gaps in the texture of the tin and bang it on the work surface twice to make sure the bottom is filled
- Leave the mix to sit for 5 minutes before placing into your preheated oven
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked through
- Take the tin out of the oven and turn upside down (right way round) over a cooling rack so the cake can slide out of the tin itself
- Allow to cool thoroughly before making the topping
- To do this, break up the chocolate and place in a glass bowl with the milk over a pan of boiling water
- Stir until all of the chocolate is melted
- Then drizzle the chocolate all over the top of the cake, allowing to drip down the sides and cover most of the cake (i do not ice the cake as I like the rustic homemade effect!)
- Allow this to set, then you can serve!
I am always floating my own cake boat, but this was really delicious, in fact, one of the best cakes I have made, the Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake also looks brilliant and adds more of a wow factor than your regular round cake, I mean, who doesn’t like a cake with a hole!
I would love to hear from you if you try/make any of my recipes, successfully or unsuccessfully and would like to share stories about them.