Changing the theme, slightly, from chocolate cupcakes to cupcakes with no chocolate… Here is my exquisite recipe for Lemon Cupcakes:
- 175g of Butter
- 100g of Sugar
- 100g of Flour
- ½ tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 tsp of Baking Powder
- 2 Eggs
- Zest of 2 Lemons (the ones I used were quite small)
- 8 tbsp of Lemon Juice
- 100g of Icing Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C (Fan) and put your cupcake cases into your tray
- Sift the sugar into a bowl and add 100g of the butter and cream until smooth
- Then sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder and mix until crumbly
- Then add the eggs and whisk until smooth
- Finally add the zest of one lemon and 4 tablespoons of lemon juice and combine
- Then spoon into your cupcake cases and bake for 10-12 minutes until cooked (the best way to tell is to gently push the cupcake and if it springs back, it is ready)
- Once the cupcakes have cooled you can start on the frosting
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add the remaining butter
- Cream together until smooth
- Then add the zest of the other lemon and 4 tablespoons of lemon juice and mix thoroughly
- You can then use a palette knife or icing bag to decorate your cupcakes!
- If you have sugar decoration you can sprinkle this over the top to finish!
Chocolate rich cakes and puddings are always great and really delicious, but sometimes, just sometimes I would like something a little bit lighter and more refreshing.
These Lemon Cupcakes are just as much of a treat as a rich chocolate cake but also do not leave you feeling that sickly feeling afterwards.
Experimenting with a sharper sour flavour has inspired me to get a little bit more creative with my cupcakes. So my next batch will be inspired by something, I have not decide what yet, perhaps a cocktail or my favourite ice cream…
In the meantime, I would love to hear your ideas and maybe one of them will be just what I am looking for!