We do not really celebrate Halloween in our household, however I did feel obligated to make something a little Halloweeny, so here is my recipe for Halloween Themed Cupcakes:
- 100g of Plain Flour
- 100g of Sugar
- 1tsp of Baking Powder
- 1/2tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 200g of Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 1tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 75g of Icing Sugar
- A few drops of Orange Food Colouring
- 2 tbsp of Lemon Juice
- 12 x Halloween Themed Sweets (I used frog Haribos)
- Preheat the oven to 180C (Fan) and put your cupcake cases into your tray
- Sift the sugar into a bowl and add 100g of the butter and cream until smooth
- Then sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder and mix until crumbly
- Then add the eggs and whisk until smooth
- Finally add the vanilla essence and combine
- Then spoon into your cupcake cases and bake for 10-12 minutes until cooked (the best way to tell is to gently push the cupcake and if it springs back, it is ready)
- Once the cupcakes have cooled you can start on the frosting
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add the remaining butter
- Cream together until smooth
- Then add the lemon juice and food colouring and mix thoroughly
- You can then use a palette knife or icing bag to decorate your cupcakes!
- Then add your Halloween themed sweets to the top to finish!
These Halloween Themed Cupcakes were really quick and easy but looked really effective and really were Halloweeny! Just the effect desired, this recipe can be easily altered to suit any holiday too!
Note, I make lemon frosting as I think this covers the slight change in taste when you add artificial food colouring to frosting!