In December David turned the big 3-0 so I wanted to make something a little bit special for his birthday and at his request I made Marble Cupcakes for his party and this is how I did it:
- 350g of Butter
- 200g of Sugar
- 175g of Flour
- 50g of Cocoa
- 1 tbsp of Vanilla Essence
- 1 tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2 tsp of Baking Powder
- 4 Eggs
- 2 tbsp of Vanilla Essence
- 125g of Icing Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C (Fan Oven) and put your cupcake cases (this recipe makes 24 cupcakes) into your baking tray
- In one bowl sift 100g of the sugar and 100g of butter and cream until smooth
- Then sift in 100g of the flour, ½ tsp of bicarbonate of soda and 1 tsp of baking powder and mix until crumbly
- Then add 2 eggs and 1 tbsp of vanilla and whisk until smooth
- Set aside
- In a second bowl sift 100g of the sugar and 100g of butter and cream until smooth
- Then sift in 100g of the flour 25g of cocoa, ½ tsp of bicarbonate of soda and 1 tsp of baking powder and mix until crumbly
- Then add 2 eggs and whisk until smooth
- Now add one dollop (around one tablespoon) of the vanilla mixture to each cupcake case
- Then add around the same amount of the chocolate mixture to each cupcake case
- Repeat this process until all of the mixture is used and each case (of 24) has roughly the same amount of cake batter in it
- Then you take a toothpick and place into the centre of the case swirling gently out to the edge (do not swirl it too much or you will just mix the batters together)
- Repeat this process for each cupcake
- Once complete place into your preheated oven for between 10-12 minutes. You can check if the cupcakes are good by gently touching the top of one, if it springs back then you are good to go!
- Get the cupcakes out and allow to cool
- Once cool you can prepare the frosting, I made half vanilla and half chocolate for them
- Place 75g of butter and 75g of icing sugar into a bowl with 1 tbsp of vanilla essence and cream together until smooth
- Use this to decorate 12 of your cupcakes
- Then place 75g of butter, 50g of icing sugar and 25g of cocoa into a bowl and cream together until smooth
- Use this to decorate the remaining cupcakes
- Alternatively, you could gently swirl the two frostings together gently and also decorate them in this style (regretting only just thinking of this)
- Then enjoy!
These Marble Cupcakes have a really great effect when served and they look truly spectacular!
But the beauty of Marble Cupcakes is, that they aren’t hard to make and you just cannot go wrong as the pattern is abstract so who cal tell if you did go wrong? They are also taste yummy!
I think I will be trying this recipe with different flavour combinations and possibly just different colour combinations in the future… so watch this space!