My Portuguese colleague had her son staying with her in Berlin this Christmas and wanted to introduce her to all of her friends and what she loved to do. So we decided that we would have dinner and teach him how to make cupcakes. It was really fun as I love seeing kids have fun learning to bake and the pride they have when it works out just as they wanted. So in Martim’s cupcake lessons we made Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Orange Frosting:
- 175g of Butter
- 100g of Sugar
- 75g of Flour
- 50g of Cocoa
- 1/2 tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 tsp of Baking Powder
- 2 Eggs
- 50g of Icing Sugar
- 1 tbsp of Orange Essence
- Preheat the oven to 180C (Fan Oven) and put your cupcake cases into your baking tray
- In a bowl sift the sugar and 100g of butter and cream until smooth
- Then sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder and mix until crumbly
- Then add the eggs and whisk until smooth
- Place into the oven for between 10-12 minutes. You can check if the cupcakes are good by gently touching the top of one, if it springs back then you are good to go!
- Get the cupcakes out and allow to cool
- Once cool you can prepare the frosting
- Place 75g of butter and 50g of icing sugar into a bowl with 1 tbsp of orange essence and cream together until smooth
- Use this to decorate your cupcakes as well as some sugar decorations I had at home
- Then enjoy!
These Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Orange Frosting and I think Martim was really pleased he could say that he helped. I think he was even more pleased when I gave him the leftovers in a box to take home with him!
This was great fun and as someone who got into baking when I was older, it makes me think that just one day I might like to look at giving lessons to children….