A couple of weeks ago I promised my colleagues I would bake something over the weekend for Monday at work. Normally I limit it to Birthdays or special occasions, or I could be doing it everyday. But as it turns out after a relaxing Sunday I actually felt like baking. There was however one small problem… I had no cupcake cases! Generally I am not a fan of baking big cakes as they just never taste quite as good, this time however my hands were tied. So I decided that a tray bake may be more successful and would also go further at work! So looking through the ingredients I had in (not a lot) I went for a Vanilla Tray Bake with Lemon Frosting. Here is my recipe:
- 350g of Butter
- 200g of Sugar
- 200g of Flour
- 2 tbsp of Vanilla Essence
- 1 tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2 tsp of Baking Powder
- 4 Eggs
- 2 tbsp of Lemon Essence
- 150g of Icing Sugar
- Hundreds and Thousands
- Preheat the oven to 180C (Fan Oven) and line the base of a deep tray with baking paper
- In a bowl sift the sugar and 200g of butter and cream until smooth
- Then sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder and mix until crumbly
- Then the eggs and vanilla essence and whisk until smooth
- Pour into your tray and allow it to settle evenly for a few minutes
- Once complete place into your preheated oven for between 25-30 minutes. You can check if the cake is ready by gently touching the top of one, if it springs back then you are good to go!
- Get the cake out and allow to cool
- Once cool you can prepare the frosting
- Place 150g of butter and the icing sugar into a bowl with the lemon essence and cream together until smooth
- Use this to decorate the top of your tray bake (it does not need to be neat, perfect right)
- Finally scatter your hundreds and thousands over the top
- Then enjoy!
I can actually say that I was really pleased with how well this Vanilla Tray Bake with Lemon Frosting came out. It smelt, looked and tasted great! Possibly my best improvised large cake to date! It is a recipe for every occasion as it onlz takes an hour or so to make and will easily give you 16 good sized portion. You could also be more experimental with the decoration if the feeling takes you!