Traditionally (well Hollywood movie traditionally) when a friend has a baby, you turn up with a frozen lasagna or something similar so that they do not have to cook etc. I don’t do that, I take them cake. In fact I take Banana Bread Cake with Chocolate Frosting Filling and this is how I made it:
- 100g of Sugar
- 200g of Butter
- 150g of Flour
- 1tsp of Baking Powder
- 1/2tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Bananas
- 1tbsp of Vanilla Extract
- 75g of Icing Sugar
- 25g of Cocoa
- Preheat the oven to 175C fan and grease your cake tin reading for later
- Start of by creaming the sugar and 100g of the butter together in a large bowl
- Once smooth sieve in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda gradually and mix until your mixture is crumbly
- Then add the eggs and vanilla extract and combine thoroughly
- In a separate bowl mash the bananas with a fork then add to your cake mixture
- You can then pour the mixture in your cake tin and bake in the oven for 40/45 minutes. It is best to use a cake tester to check when it is cooked through, by sticking it into the cake and seeing if it comes out clean, when it does, it is ready
- Once the cake is ready, remove from the oven and allow to cool
- When the cake has cooled you can start on the filling
- Add the remaining butter, icing sugar and cocoa to a bowl and mix until combined and smooth
- The cut your cake into two through the middle (I find a knife longer than the width of the cake and kneeling until eye level helps you cut it evenly)
- Smear the frosting across the base of the cake, leave it thicker in the middle so it can smoodge (is that a word?) to the edges when you pop the top back on and your ready to go!
This Banana Bread Cake with Chocolate Frosting Filling was a great twist on banana bread as you are basically baking it in a different shape and adding chocolate frosting… It couldn’t hurt right?
Which cake recipes have you added your own twist too?