Summer is here and it really is here in Berlin with it barely going under 30C, not really the best baking climate… However I have still been baking and cooking a little and last weekend with friends coming over for dinner, one of whom cannot eat gluten and a temperature of 38C I had to find a suitable dessert. What I decided on was a Summer Strawberry Pavlova:
- 5 Eggs
- 275g of Sugar
- 1tsbp of Lemon Juice
- 200ml of Whipping Cream
- 1 Heaped Tbsp of Icing Sugar
- Strawberries (as many as you want)
- Preheat the oven to 180C Fan
- Separate the egg whites into a bowl and whisk until stiff
- Then gradually add the sugar whilst whisking to keeps the eggs whites stiff
- Finally add the lemon juice and give a final whisk
- You can then use a large spoon to create a shape on a baking tray lined with baking parchment (I have only tried the above design but you can get creative)
- The place into your oven and turn the temperature down to 150C Fan
- Leave in the oven for an hour
- Once an hour has passed turn off the oven and leave the meringue inside until it has at least cooled although it is best to leave it over night
- When the meringue has cooled you can whip the cream with the icing sugar before using this and the strawberries to decorate as desired
Note: It is best to make this the night before you need it and once it is made you MUST keep it cool!
A cold dessert like this is just perfect when it is hot and what can shout British summertime more than Strawberries and Cream?
The recipe for the Summer Strawberry Pavlova has been passed down to me from my Mother-In-Law and I hope that I can improve my technique as although this one worked perfectly, I have had a few mishaps in the past!
What recipes have you had passed down to you from family or friends?