I am a little late with TGBBO Week 3: Bread because my husband has been away with work and I would just never eat a whole loaf of bread on my own, but he is back today so I have been baking for his return!
I was most excited about bread week, as I love making bread, I do not make it often as we just do not eat that much and I really notice the difference in how long it stays fresh (minus all the horrible ingredients) and I really hate waste. However, I think that bread making it one of my best baking skills, from my first attempt to odd experiments I have never had a bad loaf, but then I have never made soda bread, so here is how it went:
- 450g of Flour
- 1tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1tsp of Salt
- 400ml of Buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan) and put a piece of baking parchment onto a large baking tray
- Then mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large bowl
- Make a well in the middle and pour in all 0f the buttermilk
- Stir into the flour quickly until a sticky dough forms
- Tip out onto a (heavily) floured surface and shape with well-floured hands as desired (I made mine round with a cross cut in before baking)
- Place into the oven and bake for around 45 minutes, until the bread sounds ‘hollow’ when tapped
- Cool on a wire rack and then enjoy
So there is my TGBBO Week 3: Bread attempt, I think it looks amazing and my apartment has smelt delicious all day long, I really like soda bread as much as regular bread and could eat it all warm, but I was really surprised just how quick it was to make especially when you are comfortable with making bread, it seemed almost wrong to put it in the oven that quickly.
I was so pleased with the results that I think I might start making my own bread a little bit more often now!